Richard Madeley is "fit as a fiddle" after being forced to leave 'I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!'

Richard Madeley 'fit as a fiddle' after leaving I'm A Celebrity

Richard Madeley 'fit as a fiddle' after leaving I'm A Celebrity

The 65-year-old TV star was taken to hospital during the week and was later forced to quit the ITV reality show due to him leaving the COVID-19 secure bubble of Gwrych Castle in Wales for medical attention.

However, Richard has insisted that he has been given a clean bill of health and would have remained in the show if not for COVID.

He told presenters Ant and Dec on Friday's (26.11.21) show: "I feel as fit as a fiddle and I am fit as a fiddle. And you know if it wasn't for COVID I'd be back there sort of eating rice and beans.

"I had to leave… it's a COVID situation. It's still biting our bums isn't it? What happened was, I had just a funny little turn quite sort of late in the morning.

"ITV are so good with duty of care. They were adamant. They said 'No, we have to make sure that you're OK.' I said, 'But I am OK.' They said, 'We have to make sure.' So I went to the local hospital – I was only in there for about an hour and a half – I was given really thorough checks and I was given a completely clean bill of health, I'm absolutely fine. No matter what you might have read, I'm absolutely fine.

"But I did hang on after I was discharged for about 20 minutes because I went to the canteen, seriously, and had a bacon butty. That was my first port of call for a bacon butty. And a huge cup of tea, it was amazing.

"I ate hospital food, exactly. I'm absolutely fine. As I say, if it wasn't for Covid, I'd still be in the game. I'm gutted. I'm gutted, I really am."

An ITV spokesperson earlier confirmed that Richard - who previously presented 'This Morning' alongside his wife Judy Finnigan, 73 - had needed medical attention in the night after being taken unwell.

The spokesperson said: "Richard was unwell in the early hours and was immediately seen by our on-site medical team.

"He's since been taken to hospital as a precaution, the health and safety of our campmates is our priority."

The Welsh Ambulance Service said it was called to a "medical emergency" at the castle in Abergele, Conwy.

A statement said: "We sent a paramedic in a rapid response car and an emergency ambulance to the scene, and one patient was taken to hospital."