Cooking time: 6-7 hours (high) or 7-8 hours (low)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp rose harissa paste (dependingon taste)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 800g chopped tomatoes
- 500g green lentils, rinsed & drained
- 750ml vegetable stock
- ½ savoy cabbage, shredded or
- 100g fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 lemon, zested
- salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan or Crock-Pot sauté pot and sauté the carrots, onions and celery without colouring until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cumin; continue to sauté for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Transfer the contents to the removable Crock-Pot bowl if sautéing in a pan.
- Add the harissa, tomato puree and the chopped tomatoes, stir well.
- Add the lentils and stock, stir and cover.
- Cook on Low for 7-8 hours or High for 6-7 hours.
- 1 hour before the end of the cooking time, stir in the shredded cabbage and continue to cook until the end of the chosen time.
- Add the lemon zest and seasoning.
- This recipe freezes beautifully.