Parenting website Yano.co.uk launches nationwide search for the
next ‘big’ young creative writing talent
A panel of award-winning children’s authors and writers will judge a new national creative writing competition. Children across the UK and Ireland are encouraged to submit original writing entitled ‘My Most Amazing Adventure Ever.’ The initiative, launched by parenting site Yano.co.uk, aims to encourage more parent child interaction via playful fun and learning.
To enter, children are asked to write a poem or story on the given theme, no longer than 1,500 words, about anything and anybody they wish, incorporating their own enchanting worlds full of mystical characters, places, planets, animals and colours.
Winners will be selected by a renowned panel of award-winning children’s authors and writers, including Helen Cooper, (Pumpkin Soup); Kristina Stephenson (Sir Charlie Stinky Socks and The Really Big Adventure); Nii Parkes (Tail of a Bluebird); Claire Steele (Creative Writer and Former Judge of The Guardian’s First Book Prize) and Melanie Goose, editor of Yano.co.uk. The competition is open to three age brackets; four to five year olds; six to seven year olds and eight to nine year olds.
The renowned judging panel will select a winner from each age group and an overall winner, picked from the three winners. Each winner will receive a selection of books from Parragon (including some signed copies) and a gift voucher worth £100 from Blackwell Booksellers. The overall winner will receive a £500 voucher from LateRooms.com, to use towards a family break.
Yano.co.uk, which launched earlier this year, encourages fresh thinking on parenting, incorporating enlightening food for thought; informative discussions; regular news stories; a digest of interesting parenting stories from across the globe; Q and A discussion panels and advice and comment from leading experts in their chosen fields.
Competition Rules and writing tips
- * Entrants must be aged between 4 and 9 years old and be resident in the UK and Eire only.
- * Entrants must have permission to enter from a parent or guardian who is over 18 years old.
- * Winners will be notified by 4th December 2012 by telephone or email.
- * This competition is run by Yano Limited
- *The competition is not open to anyone associated with yano.co.uk
- * The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- * A list of winners’ names will be displayed on the website after the announcement on 4th December 2012.
- * No responsibility can be accepted for entries which are not properly received due to communications beyond our control. Yano is not responsible for lost, late or damaged mail
- or any consequential loss.
- * Only one entry per person is allowed.
- * Yano is unable to return stories or poems submitted to the entrant.
- * Prizes are not transferable and there are no cash alternatives to the prizes.
- * Contestants entering agree to be bound by the above rules and regulations.
- * Acceptance of the prize constitutes consent for Yano to use the winner’s names for editorial and PR purposes. Yano will not release any personal information about entrants to any third party whatsoever under the Data protection act.
Tips for writing with your children