With British Cheese Week fast approaching (22.09.12 - 30.09.12), here's some Recipes to showcase the best of our nation's cheeses. British Cheese Week is a campaign to get people eating and learning about Britain's cheeses.
Sweet Eve Strawberry, Pink Lady® Apple and Gorwydd Caerphilly Crumble
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
- 750g Pink Lady® apples
- 300g Sweet Eve strawberries
- 100g light brown sugar
- 2 tsp finely chopped preserved ginger
- 250g plain white flour
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g Gorwydd Caerphilly cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 75g demerara sugar
- 1 tablespoon welsh honey
- Pre heat oven to Gas mark 5, 190 °C, 375°F.
- Peel the apples and cut into 1cm thick slices, and place into baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar and ginger, and distribute strawberries evenly on top.
- Cut cold butter into small pieces and place in mixing bowl with sifted flour – rub together until crumbly. Crumble in the Caerphilly cheese (straight from fridge) and stir in the sugar and lemon zest. Use a wooden spoon to lay the crumble evenly on top of the fruit.
- Bake for 30 minutes, take out and drizzle with honey before returning to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes. Take care not to burn the crumble!
- Serve with crème fraiche.
Goat’s Cheese and Shallot Marmalade Bruschetta
Served with warmed bread, makes a delicious starter for 4
- 4 thick slices crusty bread
- 1 clove peeled garlic
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300g Capricorn goat's cheese log cut into discs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 shallots, sliced
- ½ tsp thyme, stripped from stalks
- 25ml red wine vinegar
- 12 peeled walnut halves
- Chopped parsley
- Place butter, olive oil, shallots and thyme in a pan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, until soft. Stir in the vinegar, reduce the heat and continue to cook for 40 minutes until sticky, stirring occasionally to prevent the shallots from sticking.
- Cut the garlic clove in half and rub cut edge on top side of the bread (toast it lightly beforehand if you wish). Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Place Capricorn goat's cheese cut into rounds onto the bruschetta, and pop under a hot grill for two minutes. Top with the shallot marmalade, walnuts and chopped parsley.
British Cheese Week runs from 22nd to 30th September.