The foundation of a good night's sleep is the bed on which you rest.
Silentnight Marketing Director Nick Booth says "Most people don't understand the jargon associated with beds and mattresses but hopefully by reading our useful tips, you'll be one step closer to finding your perfect mattress."
- Firstly, size matters. Surprisingly, two people sharing a standard double size bed have only as much personal sleeping space as a baby in a cot. Investing in a larger bed is beneficial as you are less likely to disturb your partner or be disturbed yourself. One of the most common sleeping problems is not having enough space.
- Know your sizes. We all know what single, doubles and king size 'is' but have you ever thought of the size difference between them? The smallest type of adult bed is a single which is approximately 90cm x 190cm as standard, whilst doubles come in at around 135cm x 190cm. If you're taller, then a king size gives you an extra 10cm in length (150cm x 200cm), while a super king is the same length but a huge 30cm wider (180xm x 200xm). Although dependent on room size, the general rule on bed size should be the bigger the better!
- Know your numbers. You may have noticed that many mattresses have numbers in their product names. Although not an industry standard it often refers to the number of springs in a sprung mattress. For example, our Silentnight 1200 Pocket Deluxe has 1200 springs in.
- It is better to buy a mattress and base together in order to elevate the feel and performance of the mattress. If you simply buy a mattress and put it on an old or poor quality bed, you may not enjoy the full benefit.
- Pillow talk is important and nobody wants a stiff neck. It is recommended that you change your pillows every two to three years, and that when you do choose one, it correctly aligns to your shoulders and spine.
- Which mattress is needed for a bad back? There is no definite answer to this. It comes down to a range of factors including weight, sleeping position and personal preference. What everyone needs though is a supportive and comfortable mattress. Buy a mattress with a guarantee, then if it's not helping your ailments you can re-assess what firmness you need.
- Beds aside briefly, Silentnight advises that you wash your sheets weekly, as dead skin cells and bodily fluids rapidly build up. Dust mites are microscopic bugs that feed off your dead skin cells and can cause health issues such as asthma. Buying a mattress that includes Purotex helps battle these mites and maintains a hygienically clean mattress.
- We recommend you change your bed every 7 years. This is because the materials in many beds can deteriorate by as much as 75% after 7 years of use.
- Go the extra mile. Mattress protectors maximise your mattresses' life span by protecting them from spills, dust and dirt.
For more useful tips on bed buying visit www.silentnight.co.uk