275 cals per serving
- 2 tablespoons stock
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (or 1 teaspoon minced/chopped garlic)
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 x 200g (7oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 60g (2oz) fresh soft white breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- freshly ground black pepper
- 60g (2oz) dried whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 dessertspoons hot salsa
- lime wedges, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
- Heat the stock in a non-stick saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, then cover and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrot, red pepper and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the coriander and chilli powder and stir for 2 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Mash the kidney beans in a bowl and mix in the fresh white breadcrumbs and chopped coriander. Stir in the onion mixture and season with black pepper.
- Divide the kidney bean mixture into four equal-sized portions and, using your hands, shape into burgers and coat lightly with the dried whole wheat breadcrumbs.
- Place the burgers on non-stick greaseproof paper on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, until crisp and golden brown on one side, then turn them over and brown the other side.
- Serve the hot burgers with a spoonful of hot salsa. Eat with a crisp mixed salad and serve with lime wedges.
This recipe has been created for the LighterLife® Fast diet plan, where for two or three ‘Fast’ days a week, you have four LighterLife® Fast products, then have balanced meals and snacks for the remaining five days which are called ‘smart days.’ The LighterLife Fast® range is available exclusively in Superdrug stores, for information visit www.lighterlifefast.com.