Discover an array of historical attractions in Somerset.
Home to England’s first designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and with a range of historical attractions to discover and explore, Somerset is the perfect destination for honeymooners. From the World Heritage city of Bath to Cheddar Gorge and Caves, the perfect centre for caving and rock climbing, no matter what you’re searching for, Somerset has something to suit everyone.
Here are just ten reasons why newlyweds are in for a treat in Somerset:
- As England’s very first designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the Quantock Hills provide beautiful scenery and backdrops.
- Known for its stunning Georgian architecture and natural hot springs, the World Heritage city of Bath is the perfect setting to take in some culture.
- For the old romantics, journey through the county’s coast and countryside, with a trip on the West Somerset Steam Railway, offering 20 miles of heritage to share with your other half.
- Discover three centuries of garden design at the stunning Hestercombe Gardens. Wander by the lakes of the Georgian gardens, admire the landscapes from the Victorian terrace, or venture to the formal Edwardian garden – there’s nowhere more romantic.
- Boasting subtropical gardens and dramatic views, Dunster Castle is a must visit - from the working watermill nestled in the grounds, to the gardens which are home to a diverse range of wildlife and plants.
- With the area famous for its literary legends, walk in the footsteps of poets Coleridge and Wordsworth. Visit Coleridge Cottage and discover the past of one of the great Romantic poets.
- Explore the region’s beautiful coastline, with a walk along the South West Coastal Path.
- With jaw-dropping views and an ancient history, Glastonbury Tor overlooks the region. If it’s good enough for a visit from King Arthur and his knights of the round table, it’s good enough for us.
- As one of Britain’s most spectacular natural landmarks, Cheddar Gorge is the perfect stop for adrenaline junkies. Explore the caves, or don your helmet and harness and go rock climbing.
- With a wide range of stunning properties to choose from in the cottages.com Romantic Collection, you’ll be spoilt for choice.
Tagged in Honeymoon