When living a busy life, like mine, it's important to seek balance. It's easy to lose yourself in too much work, social events, or playing mum the taxi. Balance in life doesn't come without thought. So how do we decide what to do and what to ignore?
Sometimes it's hard to take care of your own needs when you have work, family, friends, charities, extracurricular events, and any number of other things to take up your time. When your work life and personal life are out of balance, your stress level is likely to soar. W all need to restore harmony.
When I search for balance, I seek first for an inner knowledge of what's most important.
- Family Time - Personally, family time comes first for me, There is nothing wrong with working hard to gain some of the finer things in life, but you should also not forget the worth of the things and people that really matter most.
- Work - It's becoming increasingly important to love your job or industry. As the lines between working life and personal life blur, a job is as much about personal fulfillment and growth, as it is about a paycheck. People don't want to make widgets, they want to change lives, including their own.
Your mental health improves. It is important to do something we love for a living because our work lives will then provide meaning and purpose, which are associated with psychological well-being and health.
- Society and Activities - In this day and age, it's almost impossible to avoid extending yourself far beyond what's comfortable. What are you gaining from giving all your time to others? It's important to consider the world around you, but if your needs are being lost in the endless needs of others, it may be time to reprioritise.
It can be difficult to take a good hard look at your own life, and see where you give too much or too little, but it's the only way to take the first steps towards a life of balance.
Letting Go of the Excess
Once you know what's really important, it's time to let go of the excess. So how do you start?
- One at a Time - I find it works best for me to cut down on one activity at a time until I find balance, because going completely cold turkey on a couple of things at once can be very overwhelming.
- Remember What's Important - It can be panic inducing to let go of all the things you've done that have kept your life out of balance. If you need to, return to your list of priorities for reaffirmation.
- Don't Forget Yourself - If you are searching for balance, don't let your own personal needs be the ones that you release. Many times, people just forget their own selves while finding a balance in life. We can't afford to forget our children but we certainly forget our own selves. Once in a while, do what gives you pleasure. Go out to your favorite restaurant or watch a classic movie that never fails to make you laugh! It is crucial to never forget those things that make you YOU!
It can be a struggle to achieve balance in your life, but with a little time and effort you can begin to return to a well-balanced, well-lived, life. As long as you find your life fulfilling, it doesn't matter if your schedule looks different from someone else's. Do what feels right inside.
When you strive for balance you'll find peace.