Eczema is a problem which effects many people; Dr. Rob Hicks, who worked with AVEENO, says "Stress can play a major part in eczema, as flare ups are often made worse by stress. The problems caused by eczema are more than skin deep. The stress and anxiety caused by eczema itself makes the problem self-perpetuating. The quality of life, self-confidence and mental wellbeing of eczema sufferers can be significantly affected by the condition, and eczema often has an impact on sleep patterns. Along with skin care and regular moisturising, looking at ways of combatting stress and reducing anxiety can therefore have a hugely beneficial effect on alleviating eczema and improving quality of life in many areas."
Here are some tips to help reduce stress and ease anxiety and also how to manage Eczema prone skin;
- Ignorance isn't bliss: it's important not to ignore Eczema as it is a sign of the skin barrier being damaged; this can lead to infection which nobody wants on top of sore, dry, cracked skin.
- Get Active: Exercise is proven to reduce stress, and also is good for your general health.
- Sleep: Your body repairs itself when you sleep, and getting a good night's sleep helps restore your body's natural defences.
- Take time for yourself: do something you love and relax, this will reduce stress and anxiety. Try some relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation or have a cup of chamomile tea and read a book. Do what makes you feel relaxed!
- Moisturise: Self-explanatory, Eczema leaves the skin dry and irritated. Make sure however it is suitable for treating eczema and free of irritants and harsh chemicals.
Moisturising is important here are some suggestions of suitable moisturisers and emollients for eczema prone skin;
- Particularly suitable for mild eczema and continuous use when the skin is clear
- Day time hydration
- With humectant (glycerin) for deep moisturisation
- Low oil content
- Clinically proven to hydrate and soothe sensitive skin leaving it feeling comfortable, soft and smooth. Fragrance Free.
- Drawing on its prescription heritage, it provides effective and specialist skincare that treats by re-hydrating and protecting skin from irritants. Cetraben cream and lotion both contain light liquid paraffin, white soft paraffin and glycerine and is Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) and paraben free. The exact balance of its three simple ingredients, working in harmony with the skin, is the secret that makes Cetraben so popular.