This week's superfood feature looks into is the cupuacu.
It's a relatively unknown fruit outside of South America but wildly known in Brazil. For Brazillian's it's their national fruit and extolled for many health benefits it provides from both its Pulp and seeds.
The fruit is oblong, brown, fuzzy, and covered with a thick and hard exocarp. Inside the cupuaçu is a white Pulp surrounding the seeds. The pulp is uniquely fragrant, often described as a mix of chocolate and pineapple.
The primary Health benefit of cupuaçu is that it stimulates the immune system while simultaneously supporting the body’s ability to fight diseases. This seems incredible for such a simple fruit. Other excellent benefits include:
- Lowering blood pressure
- Healthy hair
- Lowering cholesterol levels
- Increasing libido
- Improving brain functions
- Boosting gastro-intestinal (GI) systems
- Stimulates Skin rejuvenation
- Weight loss
- Fighting against diabetes
- Increasing energy (through the caffeine-like effects)
- Neutralizing free radicals within the body’s tissues
The nutrients found within the fruit are what cause all these benefits. The superfood is chock full of vitamins B1, B2, B3 (niacin), fatty and amino acids, and nine different antioxidants, two of which include vitamins A and C.