Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Joints of beef are a perfect delicious centerpiece to Christmas or Boxing Day lunch. For this roast beef recipe, you'll need to pick up a quality rib of beef. Serve with freshly-baked Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables. A simple tip for a stress free Christmas is to use a Knorr Beef Gravy Pot together with the roasting juices to make great tasting gravy
1½kg (3½lbs) rib of beef,
1 tsp each of flour and dry mustard,
1 Knorr Beef Gravy Pot,
1 tbsp olive oil plus a little more,
6 parsnips, peeled and halved,
6 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks,
4 shallots, peeled and halved,
Fresh herbs, e.g. sage, thyme
- Pre-heat the oven to 210°C, 190°C fan oven, Gas Mark 7.
- Dust the beef with the flour and mustard.
- Heat a thick based frying pan on the hob and add the beef, fat side down. Once the fat has rendered and turned golden brown, turn the beef to sear all sides.
- Remove the beef from the pan and place in a roasting tin with the vegetables. Drizzle the fat from the frying pan over the joint and vegetables and place the roasting tin on the hob for a few minutes to heat the pan.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 15 minutes, then reduce to 190°C, 170°C fan oven, Gas Mark 5 for 15 minutes per lb for rare beef. Baste with the meat juices during cooking.
- Remove the joint and vegetables from the roasting tin and place on a board or large plate to rest.
- Spoon off most of the fat from the roasting tin, then add one gravy pot with 280ml warm water. Stir continuously with a whisk and bring to the boil.
- Boil for 1 minute until thickened and serve with the beef, roast potatoes, seasonal vegetables and Yorkshire puddings.
Tagged in Recipe