This Vegan Strawberry & Orange Traybake is a gorgeous bake full of summer fruit flavours. Combine a light, moist citrus sponge with a layer of Bonne Maman Strawberry Intense conserve plus delicious coconut shreds and you have the ultimate vegan sweet treat. The Bonne Maman Intense range of Strawberry, Raspberry and Apricot has an exceptionally high percentage of ripe fruit, so has a slightly softer set and naturally contains 30% less sugar than a classic conserve.
For the Cake
Finely grated zest of 1 large orange
25g poppy seeds
225g golden caster sugar
225g sunflower spread
275g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
12 tbsp aquafaba*
4 tbsp oat or soya milk
For the topping
335g jar Bonne Maman Strawberry Intense
Grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
About 50g shredded fresh or desiccated coconut
● Heat the oven to 160C, 140C fan, gas 3. Grease and line a rectangular cake tin approximately, 26 x 20 x 5cm, with baking paper.
● Put all the ingredients into one large bowl and beat together for 2-3 minutes until smooth, preferably with an electric whisk but a wooden spoon will be fine too.
● Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level off the surface lightly.
● Bake for about 45-55 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
● For the topping, mix together 75g of Bonne Maman Strawberry Intense with the orange juice. Skewer the top of the warm traybake all over and spoon on the strawberry mixture, spreading it to the edges and corners. It will sink down into the sponge. Leave to cool.
● Stir in the orange zest through the coconut. Spread the remaining Strawberry
Intense over the cake and sprinkle with the zesty coconut shreds.
Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of cooked chickpeas. It’s now available to buy chilled in small cartons in major supermarkets.
The cooked sponge with it first coating of strawberry and orange will freeze well. Thaw and spread with the remaining Bonne Maman Strawberry Intense and coconut before using.
Tagged in Recipes