Yet another film in the Despicable Me franchise is on its way this year (2022), and kids (and probably some parents, too!) can’t wait to see how Gru (Steve Carell) got to become the criminal (well, sort of) he is today.
Minions: The Rise of Gru is slated for cinematic release in early July of this year; the feature seems to be a hilarious, ridiculous journey of Gru and his yellow Minion friends.
The film follows young Gru in the 1970s when he interviews to be a part of the Vicious 6 after the oust their leader, Wild Knuckles (Alan Arkin). After the interview doesn’t go as planned, Gru and the Minions go on the run, with the Vicious 6 right behind them.
However, Gru meets the cast-aside leader, and realises that even supervillains need help every now and again.
Today (May 19th, 2022), Diana Ross and Tame Impala have released the upbeat, charming new collaborative singleTurn Up the Sunshine, which will be the first track included in Minions: The Rise of Gru.
A list of all the songs included in the movie is listed below:
- Turn Up The Sunshine – Diana Ross ft. Tame Impala
- Shining Star – Brittany Howard ft. Verdine White (Earth, Wind & Fire 1975)
- Funkytown – St. Vincent (Lipps Inc in 1979)
- Hollywood Swinging – BROCKHAMPTON (Kool & The Gang 1974)
- Desafinado – Kali Uchis (Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto 1959)
- Bang Bang – Caroline Polachek (Nancy Sinatra 1966)
- Fly Like an Eagle – Thundercat (Steve Miller Band 1976)
- Goodbye To Love – Phoebe Bridgers (The Carpenters 1972)
- Instant Karma! – Bleachers (John Lennon 1970)
- You’re No Good – Weyes Blood (Linda Ronstadt 1975)
- Vehicle – Gary Clark Jr. (The Ides of March 1970)
- Dance to the Music – H.E.R. (Sly and The Family Stone 1967)
- Black Magic Woman – Tierra Whack (Santana 1970)
- Cool – Verdine White
- Born To Be Alive – Jackson Wang (Patrick Hernandez 1979)
- Cecilia – The Minions (Simon & Garfunkel 1970)
- Bang Bang – G.E.M. (Nancy Sinatra 1966)
- Kung Fu Suite – RZA
- Minions: The Rise of Gru Score Suite – Heitor Pereira
The songs included in the movie definitely fit in with the 70s timeline of the film, and Diana Ross’ new single also has that fresh 70s vibe that will mix beautifully with the other tracks.
Listen to Turn Up the Sunshine below:
Minions: The Rise of Gru will land in cinemas on July 1st, 2022.
Written by Melissa, who you can follow on Twitter @melissajournal