Many people might associate soup with the depths of winter. But according to experts, it’s a better option than an average salad for getting your fill of nutrition and energy to power you through the day this summer.
Nutritionist and ‘Superfoodist’ Rick Hay reckons soup is a better weight management option than salad for anyone watching their waistline over the warmer months.
He commented: “Soups tend to be higher in fibre than salads which helps with feelings of fullness as well as gut and cardiovascular health. It also helps to reduce cravings and keep blood sugar levels steadier, meaning you have plenty of energy all day. Not only is soup quick and easy to prepare, if you choose carefully, you can find options that are light for summer as well as filling. Try to look for soups which include ingredients such as ginger, chilli and the other heating spices which help with fat metabolism as they have thermogenic properties.
“The range of SkinnyLicious soups by GLORIOUS! ticks all the boxes because they all contain many warming spices. They are also packed with protein and fibre, and many are gluten free, vegan and contain your entire five-a-day. As an added bonus, with all of them under 130 calories per portion, they’re Glorious’ lowest calorie soups ever - great news for your waistline this summer.”
It’s no coincidence that hot steaming pho is so popular in Vietnam and ramen in Japan, as there’s some science behind how hot soup can actually cool you down in warmer weather.
Rick Hay added: “If you look at our soup-loving global neighbours, they’ve proved a steaming hot bowl of soup can fight fire with fire. When you eat hot food your body notices and relays that heat to your brain, which in turn, cools you down. Yet another reason to choose a bowl of soup on a warm day.”
The GLORIOUS! range of SkinnyLicious soups, are all perfect for summer and have the added bonus of being under 130 calories per portion. They are:
- Singapore Crushed Tomato SkinnyLicious Soup: This tomato soup is low in fat but doesn’t compromise on flavour. The fresh crushed tomato pairs beautifully with basmati rice to keep you full through your working day. The combination of coconut cream, lemongrass, ginger, coriander, lime leaf and chilli really gives it that South Asian zing. It’s vegan, gluten free and a portion equates to one of your five a day too. Singapore Crushed Tomato can be found in Ocado and Waitrose and is 117 calories per portion
- New England Butternut Squash SkinnyLicious Soup – This vegetarian and gluten free light and smooth soup has a delicious combination of butternut squash and cumin. It’s also high in fibre and contains one of your all-important five-a-day. The New England Butternut Squash soup is 87 calories per portion and is available in Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, Ocado and Waitrose
- Goan Tomato & Lentil SkinnyLicious Soup - This light tomato and lentil soup is designed to satisfy your hunger, whilst being low fat your waistline will be happy too. Warmed by cumin, and smoked paprika and then cooled by low-fat natural yoghurt, it’s a vegetarian and gluten free soup that will bring some spice to your lunch hour. The Goan Tomato and Lentil soup can be found in Morrisons and Ocado and is 117 calories per portion
- Spanish Red Pepper, Tomato & Chorizo SkinnyLicious Soup – At just 63 calories per portion, this is the lowest-ever calorie soup from GLORIOUS! What’s more, it’s gluten free and contains one of your five-a-day. The secret to this deliciously indulgent, but oh-so-healthy soup, is that the smoky chorizo sausage is blended in with tomato, red pepper and chickpeas. You can find this soup in Morrisons and Sainsbury’s
- Fragrant Thai Carrot SkinnyLicious Soup - A beautifully light Thai style soup, fusing the fragrant flavours of lemongrass, ginger, lime and coriander with the sweetness of carrot and the creaminess of coconut. A vegan and gluten free soup that will give a flavour injection to your lunch hour whilst helping you watch your waistline. The Fragrant Thai Carrot is 72 calories per portion and can be found in Morrisons and Ocado
- Bangalore Lentil Daal SkinnyLicious Soup – This Indian-inspired vegan GLORIOUS! Soup will pep up your lunch hour. This rich, yet low fat, toor daal and chickpea soup is mixed with tasty garam masala, curry leaf and cumin with the sweet edge addition of mango chutney. It also contains iron-rich spinach, tomato and cauliflower all contributing to give you one of your crucial five-a-day. It’s also gluten free and only 129 calories per portion. The GLORIOUS! Bangalore SkinnyLicious soup can be found in Waitrose and Asda
Brand manager at GLORIOUS!, Emma Gale, said: “Our low calorie SkinnyLicious soups are perfect for providing fuel for your lunch hour over summer – a time when people might be looking for a little balance. These fresh soups have been cleverly formulated to be a healthy choice when you want to eat well, but don’t want to sacrifice taste.’’
The GLORIOUS! SkinnyLicious range is available in 600g pots at Waitrose, Ocado, Sainsbury’s and Morrisons and has an RRP from £2 per pot.