Recipe courtesy of Nosh Detox.
1 1⁄2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
1⁄4 cup sugar
1⁄3 cup molasses
2 1⁄4 tablespoons hot water
1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt together until combined. Then set the bowl aside you’ll need it in a moment.
- Now, large bowl, cream shortening and sugar with fork. Stir in molasses, hot water and vanilla with large spoon. Stir in flour mixture until smooth.
- Cover dough with film and chill 2 to 4 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough. Cut out shapes.
- Transfer the shapes onto a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Once the oven is heated place the tray into the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Once hard, Cool on a cooling rack and decorate as and when you like.