1) My love for scary stories started at a young age. My grandfather used to record classic horror films on VHS for us to watch throughout the year. Later, my mom introduced me to Alfred Hitchcock and suspense novels. I think that’s why I enjoy reading and writing in this genre.
2) I’m a huge movie buff. Growing up, my dad owned a video rental store (remember those?). My sisters and I watched our favorite movies on repeat. I now teach a Film Studies class at the local high school.
3) Speaking of sisters, I’m the oldest of four girls. I love having three built-in friends for life. However, we’re starting to get outnumbered. My parents now have four grandsons and one granddaughter.
4) I have three young children. I started writing my first book, Some Days Are Dark, when my youngest son was six weeks old. When it comes to writing, I say my kids are my biggest distraction and greatest motivation. They love parading the physical copies of my books around the house!
5) One of my first jobs was hosting a radio show called Swap and Shop. Listeners would wake up early on a Saturday and call the station to sell various items, like car parts and livestock.
6) Another job was working as a lifeguard at our local golf course. This still might be my favorite job ever. The experience inspired Celia’s character in The One Before (although I’m pretty sure there weren’t any people reported missing).
7) Our family loves Disney. When I’m not writing about murder, I can be found in my kitchen singing Frozen and Moana songs. We love a good dance party in the kitchen.
8) I’m a reader first. I love reading crime fiction, especially psychological thrillers. When I need to lighten the mood, I’m a big fan of David Sedaris and Sloane Crosley.
9) As a child, Dolly Parton was my hero. I live in beautiful East Tennessee, only a short drive away from Dollywood. I still love Dolly’s voice, her style and that she uses her platform to give back to the community.
10) The idea for The One Before has been in my head for years. It’s one of those books I stopped and started a dozen times. I’m excited to finally be sharing it with all of you.
About The One Before
Whisper Falls is a fresh start for Madison and her fiancé Cooper. The safe, quiet town on the shores of a beautiful lake is the perfect place to spend the rest of their lives.But then Madison learns that Cooper’s high-school girlfriend Celia disappeared after a party. Three days later, her body was found in the lake.And the town thinks it wasn’t an accident.Madison loves Cooper, but she can’t help wondering. She has to know the truth.But if she starts asking questions, what other secrets will be revealed? Will she meet the same fate as the woman who came before her?A dark, gripping psychological thriller with a brilliant twist, The One Before is perfect for fans of Karin Slaughter, Gillian Flynn and Rachel Caine.
About Miranda Smith
Miranda Smith writes psychological and domestic suspense. She is drawn to stories about ordinary people in extraordinary situations. Before completing her first novel, she worked as a newspaper staff writer and a secondary English teacher. She lives in East Tennessee with her husband and three young children.
Tagged in Golf