Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 1½-2 hours
- 675g/1½lb lean boneless shin or chuck steak, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 850ml/1½pint good, hot beef stock
- 3 whole star anise
- 30ml/2tbsp light brown sugar
- Small bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 100g/4oz turnips, peeled and quartered
- 100g/4oz baby carrots, scrubbed and left whole
- Extra fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
- Place the beef in a large bowl and season.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the beef in batches for 3-4 minutes until brown. Transfer to a 1.2L/2pint ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan cook the onion, garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes over a moderate heat until soft but not coloured, transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the vegetables, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook in the oven at Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F or on the hob for 1½-2 hours.
- 25 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the vegetables to the casserole dish and continue to cook.
- Remove the star anise, garnish with the fresh thyme leaves and serve with herb mash and seasonal vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of Love British Food. The Great British Food fortnight runs 17th September - 2nd October. http://www.lovebritishfood.co.uk/
Tagged in Recipe