If you’re about to embark on a top to bottom deep clean of your house, a bit of pre-planning can make the world of difference. There are also plenty of techniques to use that’ll help you along the way. With that in mind, we’ve put together our top 10 tips and hacks for your next big house clean.
- The thought of cleaning a mattress might perplex even the most knowledgeable of cleaning pros among us, but it’s actually a relatively simple process. Shake a few teaspoons of baking powder over the mattress, leave for 20 mins, then vacuum the powder up with a brush extension for a good-as-new bed.
- Struggling when it comes to your cleaning your blinds? Mix half parts white vinegar and half water, then ditch the cloth and opt for a solution-soaked old sock over your hand for those tricky-to-get-to places instead.
- If you’re taking on a rusty or clogged up tap, mix together lemon juice, baking powder and a few tablespoons of water – then scrub away with a toothbrush to clean all nooks and crannies.
- Shower doors are tricky to clean, there’s no denying it. But next time you’re tackling a particularly dirty screen, try heating a small bowl of white vinegar, applying it evenly over the doors, then wiping off after 30 minutes later with a damp cloth and squeegee.
- Declutter: this might seem like a simple one, but it’s a must. Don’t even think about starting your deep clean if you haven’t already done a preliminary tidy away to make way for surface cleans and the like.
- Water stains on wooden furniture might seem like something you have to live with forever – but in fact there’s an easy way to get rid for good. Next time you’re dealing with a stain, hold your hairdryer over the affected area on a medium heat until you see the stain disappear. Easy!
- An average microwave can be a pretty dirty object. Notwithstanding from the amount of internal food explosions it’s undoubtedly seen, it’s also a tricky gadget to clean. Well, unless you know how of course. Heat 100ml white vinegar mixed with 100ml of water for five minutes, then just wipe away any mess with kitchen towels until gleaming.
- Fabric lampshades can be a magnet for hair, dust and general mess – but luckily they’re easily addressed during a deep clean. Just take a lint roller and get to work on any fabric lampshade (or furniture) in sight.
- Freshen up your appliances (fridge, freezers, washing machines etc) by dabbing on baking powder onto a damp cloth, then scrubbing away and leaving for 15 minutes before washing away with water.
- If you’re taking on a nasty carpet stain, mix together one part vinegar and three parts water, then spray the stain until covered. Take a tea-towel (that you don’t mind sacrificing) and cover the sprayed area. Once it’s soaked in, crank up the iron to its full heat, and iron the tea-towel for 3-4 minutes. The stain should then transfer to the towel and you’ve got yourself a mark-free carpet.
Airtasker is a community marketplace that connects people and businesses with members of the local community who are able to complete tasks to earn more.
Tagged in Cleaning