Kevin Hart has already had a very busy 2014, but he is back on the big screen in new comedy Ride Along.
The movie has already been #1 in the U.S. as Hart teams up with Ice Cube for the very first time.
We caught up with the actor while he was in London, to chat about the new film and what he has coming up.
- So, ‘Ride Along’ is about to hit the big screen here in the UK, can you just tell us a little bit about it?
It’s a funny movie, a movie that appeals to everyone - action buddy-cop film, which has been missing for quite some time and right now, you know, me and [Ice] Cube had the opportunity to kinda jump in this realm and put a unique spin on it.
It’s different... I think people are really going to like it.
- Where did this project start for you? Were you approached? Is it a thought-child of your own?
It came to Cube first and then after that Will Pack and Tim Story got involved and they all approached me and told me we had a script and solid idea and asked me if I was interested and, of course, I jumped at the opportunity.
- Has acting in films always been the end goal from stand-up, or is it just something you’ve fallen into?
Doing stand-up opens doors for so many other opportunities so acting was definitely one of those, and after putting my feet in it, I got engulfed in it, loved it, and kinda wanted to stay in it for quite some time, so right now I’m in love with it!
But I was a stand-up comedian and I’m never gonna go back from that.
- So how was it working with Ice Cube?
Cube’s dope. He’s a good friend more than anything, and we have great chemistry on camera, off camera, and that’s what you want when you’re doing a movie - you want someone you can get along with.
- Compared to the US, how have you found the reaction here? Lots of fans here?
I love the UK! That’s why I come over here so much. The UK is great support and at the end of the day when you have fans everywhere, you need to go out and interact and see them and be seen.
I think that’s what makes it valid for any sort of support; if they have support for you, you have to have support for them.
- And finally, you’ve had a very busy start to 2014, what exciting things do you have lined up next? Anything you can share with our readers?
I’m doing a movie with Will Ferrel, called ‘Get Hard’ that we’re starting in March.
Got another movie coming out called ‘Fake Like a Man 2’, another movie called ‘Wedding Ringer’, ‘Real Husbands of Hollywood’ Season Three, and then after that I’m focussing on touring.
So yeah, lots going on!
Ride Along is out now.
Tagged in Kevin Hart