Today (February 1st, 2022) sees the announcement of the five nominees for this year’s (2022) amazing EE BAFTA Rising Star Award, the singular BAFTA category voted for by the UK public at the newly redeveloped BAFTA headquarters (HQ) in London.
The nominees have been selected by a panel of industry jurors, including BAFTA-award winning actor Andy Serkis, filmmaker and actress Sadie Frost, as well as Downton Abbey star Michelle Dockery.
Celebrating its 17th year, the prestigious EE Rising Star Award is the only category at EE BAFTA Film Awards voted for by the British public and voting is now open at ee.co.uk/bafta.
The winner will be announced on Sunday, March 13th, 2022, at the EE BAFTA Film Awards ceremony held on BBC One.
The nominees are:
- Ariana DeBose – Her incredible performance in Stephen Spielberg's West Side Story has gotten widespread praise.
- Harris Dickenson – This actor can currently be seen in cinemas alongside Ralph Fiennes The King’s Man, directed by Matthew Vaughn; he will also be starring in The Souvenir Part II with Honor Winton Byrne and Tilda Swinton early this month (February, 2022).
- Lashana Lynch – Lynch recently made history as the first woman, and first ever woman of colour to don the title of 007 in her standout role as Nomi alongside Daniel Craig and Rami Malek in No Time To Die.
- Millicent Simmonds – Her incredible acting in A Quiet Place II has earned her much praise from fans and critics alike. The actress reprised her role as Regan Abbot in the sequel, starring with Emily Blunt and Cillian Murphy.
- Kodi Smit-McPhee – His role in The Power of the Dog was met with substantial praise; it has also earned him a Golden Globe Award, as well as a nomination from the Screen Actor’s Guild for ‘Best Supporting Actor’.
The event will be hosted by BAFTA Chair Krishnendu Majumdar, as well as film broadcaster Edith Bowman; the highly-anticipated 2022 nominee shortlist was revealed by 2021 EE Rising Star Award winner, Bukky Bakray.
The nominees consist of five actors who have each demonstrated their remarkable talent in film over the past year, having captured the imagination of both the public and film industry alike.
Written by Melissa, who you can follow on Twitter @melissajournal