Ruth Langsford

Ruth Langsford

Ruth Langsford is best known for gracing the sofa on This Morning and she is now backing the Tesco Diet campaign Lbs for £s.

I caught up with her to chat about the campaign, her own tips for keeping healthy and working with her husband.

- You are supporting the Tesco Diet campaign Lbs for £s so can you tell me a little bit about it?

We all know the positive impact that being a healthy weight can have, not only do you feel better about yourself but, it helps reduce the risk of so many conditions such as Type 2 diabetes.

Lbs for £s is a remarkable way to encourage people to take care of themselves and at the same time raise money to help others - for every pound you lose in weight, Tesco Diets will donate a pound to Diabetes UK or Diabetes Ireland. The idea that your loss is someone’s gain is a great motivation to get in shape.

- So how and why did you get involved with the campaign?

I was attracted to the campaign because it was the first time in a long time I’ve read a nutrition plan that was achievable and made a lot of sense. It’s not just about losing weight but about sensible eating, and you can help Diabetes UK at the same time.

There has been a lot of talk recently about being overweight and how that can lead to all sorts of health problems, such as diabetes, so how do you keep yourself in shape?

I find it increasingly difficult the older I get to stay in shape; the pounds seem to go on very quickly but take three times as long coming off!

I have to stay off heavy carbohydrates and have a bit more protein in my diet. I go to the gym a couple of times a week, and now I’ve got my little dog Maggie I use walking her as a bit of exercise too, which I really enjoy.

- Have you any fitness and healthy eating tips that you can offer our readers?

Both Tesco Diets and my fitness instructor Justin Buckthorpe always advise me to try and live by the 80-20 rule - 80% of the time I eat healthily and that leaves me a 20% margin of treats and naughtiness to play around with.

It works really well for me because I think if you deny yourself things you love like wine, and chocolate you just crave them more.

Also when you fall off the wagon don’t beat yourself up about it, just get back on track the next day.

- How do you find working alongside your husband on This Morning - so many other couples would not work together?

It works the same as my 80-20 eating - 80% of the time it’s terrific! We do bicker occasionally but viewers tell me they like that because it’s very real and they do it themselves with their own partners.

If Eamonn Holmes wasn’t my husband I would still love to work with him, as in my opinion he is one of the best live broadcasters we have, and working with him is a pleasure.

- What is it about live TV that you seem to enjoy so much?

There’s always an edge of excitement with live TV which you just can’t replicate with a recorded show. I love the spontaneity of it all and never quite knowing how each programme will go. There’s always an element of danger - especially working with my husband!

- How did you get into that career in the first place?

I started off behind the scenes at Westcountry Television in Plymouth and I was then very lucky to be offered the chance to be in front of camera.

It really is a bit of a fairytale 'backroom girl made good' story, and I realise how fortunate I was to have got that chance. With all opportunities you have two options - to take it or leave it. I decided to take it and I’ve never looked back.

- You have interviewed a whole host of famous faces over the years so do you have a favourite?

I’ve met so many incredible people over the years on This Morning its always very difficult to chose a favourite, but I have to say it was a huge honour for me to interview the actor Jeff Bridges.

I fell in love with him when I was about 14 after watching a film called Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and all I can say is that he didn’t disappoint in real life!

The loveliest thing about him was how much he talked about his wife who he’s been with for nearly 30 years, which made me love him more; a charming, charming man.

- You are also a mother so how do you find juggling your work commitments with being a parent?

Juggling work and motherhood is never easy but like every other mother I just get on with it! Being on television doesn’t make it harder than anyone else trying to juggle their work and family life.

I think working mothers always feel some sort of guilt, that’s just the way we’re built, but I hope that Jack will always say that although his mum worked he always got a lot of love and attention when she was at home.

Ruth Langsford is supporting the Tesco Diet campaign Lbs for £s to find out more

FemaleFirst Helen Earnshaw

by for
find me on and follow me on

Tagged in