The chefs at Nielsen-Massey® Vanillas have created a delicious cookie recipe using their Gourmet Vanilla Extract, made from hand-selected vanilla beans.
The US-based company knows a thing or two about cookies. They have been making their vanilla extract in Illinois for more than a century. The vanilla beans in Nielsen-Massey’s Gourmet Vanilla Extract are hand-picked and hand-cured, and a precise cold extraction process preserves more than 300 flavour compounds from the vanilla. No other company has the same method, which guarantees both quality and distinct flavour.
This gourmet cookie recipe is a perfect winter pick-me-up. It will appeal to adults and children and provide the perfect fun family weekend activity.
Brown Butter Chocolate Snickerdoodles
This snickerdoodle recipe is a serious upgrade on the classic cookie. Adding cocoa powder and browned butter makes this recipe richer and more chocolicious than your average cookie. The rich flavour of the Gourmet Vanilla Extract adds to the deep flavour in these cookies.
40 mins prep, 8 mins. Makes 24 cookies.
- 226g butter
- 375g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- 2tsps cream of tartar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- &12; teaspoon salt
- 330g light brown sugar
- 120g granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp Nielsen-Massey Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 75g granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line two baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
2. Cut butter into evenly sized pieces. Melt it in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat and using a whisk, gently swirl the butter around the pan to melt.
3. Once the butter is completely melted, it will begin to foam. Turn the heat down to medium and let it bubble for 2-3 minutes, whisking frequently until brown milk solids appear. As soon as the butter is toasty brown and smells nutty, remove from heat and transfer into a heat-proof bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and salt.
5. In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add light brown sugar and granulated sugar. Carefully pour in melted butter and mix together for 4-5 minutes.
6. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the egg and egg yolk, vanilla extract and yoghurt and mix for 1 minute.
7. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until combined and a dough forms.
8. In a separate small bowl add the ingredients for the sugar coating and stir until combined.
9. Roll the dough into balls using about 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie.
10. Roll each cookie dough ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until thoroughly coated.
11. Place cookies on prepared baking trays, leaving enough room between each cookie to account for spreading - about 2 inches.
12. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set around the edges but still soft in the centre. Be careful not to overbake!
13. Allow snickerdoodle cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nielsen-Massey’s Gourmet Vanilla Extract comes in distinctive 60ml and 118 ml brown bottles, available from Sainsbury’s, Tesco or Lakeland.
The company also produces vanilla pastes and powders, whole vanilla pods and a range of other flavourings, including orange blossom water and rose water. For more recipe inspiration visit: https://nielsenmassey.com/landing/featured-recipes/.
All consumer products are allergen-free, certified Kosher and Gluten-Free.
Tagged in Recipe