Christmas is not quite the same without the fresh, out oven, warm mince pies to enjoy after that home cooked Christmas dinner with a cup of tea. Granola being more versatile than you think, this recipe makes a delicious dessert packed full of scrumptious goodness, bound to make your mouth water.
These mince pies are not only easy to make, but fun to make with the whole family.
Makes: 18 mince pies
· 225g vegan cold butter, dices
· 350g plain flour
· 100g golden caster sugar
· 280g mincemeat
· Lizi’s Original Granola for topping
· Icing sugar, to dust
- To make the pastry, rub 225g cold, diced vegan butter into 350g plain flour, then mix in 100g golden caster sugar and a pinch of salt. Combine the pastry into a ball – don’t add liquid – and knead it briefly. The dough will be fairly firm, like shortbread dough.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C. Line 18 holes of two 12-hole patty tins, by pressing small walnut-sized balls of pastry into each hole. Spoon 280g mincemeat into the pies.
- Take slightly smaller balls of pastry than before and pat them out between your hands to make round lids, big enough to cover the pies. Top the pies with their lids, pressing the edges gently together to seal.
· Sprinkle over your Lizi’s Original Granola. Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack. To serve, lightly dust with icing sugar. They will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.