Which festival are you heading to this year?

Which festival are you heading to this year?

Festival season has kicked off with Radio One's Big Weekend, last weekend, and we couldn't be more excited about the anticipation of all of the others. 

If you're heading off to a different country for your festival fix this year, we have the ultimate travel checklist. 

Here is a travel check list from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to make sure you are fully prepared before travelling abroad, helping you to enjoy a hassle-free trip:

Top tips from the FCO

Make sure you get comprehensive travel insurance which covers you for your festival kit as well as everything you want to do while you are on holiday, whether you are planning adventurous activities or perhaps hiring a moped to get around.

If you are travelling to a European destination make sure you take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you. You can get one from www.ehic.com. This will entitle you to medically-necessary care within the EU and EEA and should be accepted by all state hospitals. You will still need comprehensive insurance to ensure you are fully covered for all eventualities.

Before you go, check that your passport is still valid - some airlines require you to have a minimum of 6 months validity in your passport at return date. Make a note of your passport number and consider taking a photocopy with you in case you need to show them.

Once you arrive, keep your passport and possessions secure. As you would in the UK, be alert and vigilant at all times. Some festivals provide a lock-up for important items.

Avoid any involvement with illegal drugs – the penalties are severe and could include the death sentence. Legal systems in foreign countries vary greatly so do not put yourself at risk.

If you are drinking alcohol, know your limits and stay hydrated and protected from the sun to avoid a visit to the medical tent or a trip to the hospital.

Festival sites may not have easy access to ATMs so make sure you take enough money and have access to emergency funds.

Make the most of being abroad - research local laws and customs and learn a few phrases. The locals will appreciate your efforts and it will help to ensure that you don’t find yourself in trouble accidentally.

Make a note of the number of the nearest British Consulate and familiarise yourself with what they can and cannot do to help in case of emergencies.

Remember, you can call 112 to contact the emergency services in any EU country.

Check the FCO travel advice on a country-by-country basis the moment situations change on www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.

by for www.femalefirst.co.uk
find me on and follow me on

Tagged in