Finding the motivation to go to the gym can be hard enough, never mind the working out bit when we actually get there. So it's no wonder that women are opting to work out at home instead.
Recent research has revealed that over a third of women are shunning the gym, and choosing to work out in the comfort of their own home.
Savvy women are opting to save time on travelling the gym and lose the pounds in weight rather than money, in their bid to become healthier and fitter.
Experts are putting this trend down to the increase in at-home technologies, including games consoles, Apps, and fitness DVD’s, which are proving to be the most cost effective ways of achieving desirable results.
When these respondents were asked why they prefer to workout at home, cost was the number one factor, followed by the feeling of self consciousness in front of others. Over a quarter of these respondents also felt that working out from home took up less valuable time in their busy days.
The past few years has also seen a boom in the number of celebrity fitness DVD’s, which is sure to have had an impact on this trend. And it’s not just celebrity DVD’s, as the popularity of the critically acclaimed Insanity workout seems to have bucked the trend for high intensity workouts.
Paul Glazby, owner and head trainer at Prime Mover, the new HIIT inspired fitness App says: “With ever increasing busy lives, people are turning to methods that give them the best results, in the most convenient and cost effective time. Our 20 minute workout consists of bodyweight exercises that can be performed almost anywhere, with no equipment required. It’s like a fitness class in your pocket, ready to go wherever and whenever you are.”
TOP 5 WAYS TO WORKOUT AT HOME
1. DVD - For fantastic results, and daily progression checks, try Insanity or Jillian Michaels.
2. APP - Apps like Prime Mover not only allow you to work out from home, but also in the great outdoors. Particularly good for people who live with limited space
3. WEBSITES - Proving popular with young women is Results With Lucy; the online workout resource headed up by TOWIE’s Lucy Mecklenburgh
4. REAL TIME CLASSES - Services such as GymCube show fitness instructors being filmed live every day, delivering exercise classes streamed directly to any internet enabled device
5. GAMES CONSOLES - Kinect for Xbox 360 leads the way in this technology. Try Nike+ Kinect Training, which offers personalised Nike training in your home, using Kinect for Xbox 360 to track your every move so you get real-time coaching.